Steering Wobble in FJ - Shakedown on the shakes!

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
MURAD

Re: Steering Wobble in FJ - Shakedown on the shakes!

Post by MURAD »

Hey Al,

It's the Tyers.

I had the same issues with cooper AT3. Every time I deflate the wheel balance is gone.

However the Mighty Geolander ATS was the solution. Running more than 2 months sofar with big smile.

P.S been in more than 20 trips without rebalancing. :)

Good luck.
The outlaw :)

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

Sorry for the long overdue update on this one.

The answer is yes. I did solve it. The tyres were (and still are) slipping on the rim. Having marked the tyres, after a drive, the front ones usually slip only a couple of degrees, however the back ones slip as far as 110 degrees after one drive.

I have taken the car back to Arctic Trucks and they were more than happy to rebalance for a price. Instead of paying AED 200 after every drive, I marked the tyres and started doing it myself. I would remove all the tyres, totally deflate, break the seal, manually twist the tyre back around until the marks lined up and then put them all back on again.

I managed to get this whole process down to about 2 hours. Which I thought was not too bad. Only, I got really sick of doing it.

Last week I took my car to Toyota with diagrams, photos and explanations that would have done management consultants proud. They tested everything and of course said that there was no problem (despite having photos showing that there was a problem). I said it only happens in the desert, not on the road and they said that if I deflate my tyres, they will slip and that it happens to everyone. I said not everyone. Anyway, they balanced them again at no cost. First drive out was last weekend, and the two rear ones have slipped a lot and the car vibrates again. I will take it back to Toyota and ask them to fix it again at no charge, but I expect that they will say no.

To be fair, I don't know how you would fix it permanently. This has brought me to the decision that I am going to buy some bead lock rims and new tyres and I am going to start a new thread asking about bead locks!

Thanks for all the support and great ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

still i recommend to replace the tire as BF Goodrich with the hard sidewalls and the inner diameter slightly bigger than the rims will keep slipping, also tends to Popcorn (popout) during sand driving.
also after market Rims cannot trust the dimensions all the time. better cross check the Rim diameter (where the tire seated) and the inner diameter of the tire it self, tire should be slightly small if not the same of the Rim.
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded