4 or 5 point seatbelts for off-roading

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
futureshock999
Advanced
Advanced

Post by futureshock999 »

I was just reading BAJA's thread on his new rollcage, which I took great interest in.

But I am wondering, has anyone done a half-way solution of installing 4 or 5 point harnesses into their vehicle? They would seem to provide better protection in a roll-over, as well as keeping your *** in the seat a bit better when driving hard. I know some rock crawlers install them in their rigs in the US. And I know some makes allow you to keep your standard 3 point belts in place (for trips to the mall) and have the 4 point harness in place so you can put it on when going off-road.

Just curious if anyone has done this, or thought about it? Or for that matter, does anyone drive with a helmet?
In the sand, there is truth.

Ancient Mariner
Advanced
Advanced

Re: 4 or 5 point seatbelts for off-roading

Post by Ancient Mariner »

To work this would need seat and mountings etc etc all integrated to the same solution - ie your four point harness worked but now the seat has ripped off the deck and stopping you getting out of the car or being pulled out. If you are going to be driving at this level then the full roll cage, racing seat, helmet, nomex underware, external kill switch etc etc etc not to mention the brown corduroys.

Surely being bounced around a bit is the natural safety valve?

I remember Jeremy Clarkson's ultimate car safety device was a large steel spike coming out of the steering wheel. Even a minor shunt would be certain death and thus a proper deterrent. (but he hasn't driven on Sheikh Zaid Road)

Martin
Ancient Mariner

Subaru Forester XT

DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by DesertDawg »

Another interesting post Rob.

I used to run a road car with 3 point belts in my road rallying and road circuit days.

Fantastic for holding you in your seat and very quick to release (even upside down). However, from a pragmatic view point, given how many times we hop in and out of our cars on a trip, they would be a royal PIA. Twisting around to look behind you would also be an issue.

Helmet. I drove all day Friday and had a neck ache at the end of it. I am sure it would have been a whole lot worse with a helmet. Visibility would also be an issue and it would be too darn hot in summer.

One would also look a bit of a dork.. :D

Dave
Travelling in my truck...

Denise
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Denise »

You may want to check with Marshall Seamut
He has these seatbelts installed on his jeep
They look really cool
:D

BAHA
Advanced
Advanced

Post by BAHA »

I believe such set up should only be done as a full proper set up, which will be totally inconvenient for our type of trips, partially done will be more dangerous. For example, some install rAcer seats only so will lack of proper belt points on a FIA compliment cage. Another example of what happened to me when we've done an arc bar behind my seat that was suppose to be supported by the seatbelt mounts and the shop owner literally shouted at us and threw it away ( what a loss) he explained that he cannot allow such as incomplete stupid thing, either full 6 points or nothing and also DO NOT F**** WITH SEAT BELTS, he said very calmly lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youth at the prow, pleasure at the helm
Trip count: Who cares!

omar_kid77
Marshal
Marshal

Post by omar_kid77 »

From my experience with my rally raid car and two roll overs I highly recommend you to go with the six points harness which is approved by the FIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not the car, it's the driver WHO can make it.
Omar Daoud 050 4120334