Rear King Bump Stops on JK

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Thom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Thom »

I am looking at installing King Bump Stops on the rear end of my JK.
I've been offered the following solution. https://www.offroadevolution.com/produc ... ps-jk-jku/
It requires cutting and welding of the chassis. I see amber flashing lights going off at Muroor as a result.

I'd appreciate some feedback from members that have experience with this or know of somebody that has this installed.

JK 2012 - "White Rhino"
F150 FX4 2014 - "Canis Majoris"
FB - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005220737029

joergpietzsch
Explorer
Explorer

Post by joergpietzsch »

Why would you add them on the rear?
I have them in front only and the normal king shocks.
Never had a problem with the rear hitting through to the stops yet...
In front though, I was happy already a few times to have them - with the engine on top, the front shocks do not absorb all the energy on some fast speed bumps...

Jorg
JLU Rubicon
058 523 39 12

Thom
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Rear King Bump Stops on JK

Post by Thom »

Jorg.

I want to install them simply because I have them on the front, they work really well and have an issue with the rear bottoming out, which needs sorting out. I do carry a fair amount of equipment/tools with me (to be prepared for the inevitable), so need something stronger than the standard foam units.

As an update, the installer said they have fitted the King/EVO mounts to Dubai registered vehicles only so far and have no problems getting them through the test as they have a standing arrangement with RTA.
I have been offered an alternative for the rear which is the Sumo bump stops. They do not require cutting or welding.

JK 2012 - "White Rhino"

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Thats is a good query. I was surprise by knowing to install those on the rear required such an modification, good question might be how much " cutting" and "welding" is the mentioned, definitely RTA wont let you pass any car which chassis is obviously modified. Let hope someone has personal experience on this and no only talks or guessing.
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

I tried the Sumo bump stops on my JKU and couldn't tell any difference. (also carrying a lot of heavy gear/tools). I wouldn't purchase them again.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Thom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Thom »

Code Red wrote:I tried the Sumo bump stops on my JKU and couldn't tell any difference. (also carrying a lot of heavy gear/tools). I wouldn't purchase them again.
Thanks for the feedback Code Red. Always good to hear some first hand feedback. I assume these were the ones?
sumosprings vs oe.jpg
The thing is, I'm regularly experiencing on the back with the rear bottoming out when descending sharp and short drops in technical areas. Did you try anything else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JK 2012 - "White Rhino"

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

Yes, those were the ones.

I did not try anything else. If I had kept the Jeep I would have gone with either a better bump stop such as the kings or foxes, but more likely would have upgraded from the Bilstein shocks that came with my AEV suspension. For where I was, the money would have been better spent on improving the shocks, but if you are happy with yours, then the bump stops may be the way to go.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Thom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Thom »

Code Red, good point. I will have my Fox 2.0 shocks reconditioned and recharged at the same time. It may be the issue. The thing is I'm not 100% sure and won't know unless I go through a process of elimination, which I don't have time for.
Based on some of the positive feedback I am finding on the net, I may just get the Sumo installed now while the Jeep is on the lift with the shocks out.

JK 2012 - "White Rhino"