RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
senigal
Intermediate
Intermediate

RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by senigal »

Dear Sand Addicts,

I have been trying to make up my mind about which 4x4 truck should I by next.

I had a Xterra-2008, did a lot of mods after buying it brand new, spent a lot on that, I had an accident offroad and it was totaled last year.

Now I have shortlisted to below vehicles:

JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON-X 2016:
I did a test drive on Sahara version in the city and I have driven my friend's Sport-2015 offroad.
But my friends are telling me that even with the hard top wind noise is loud, bumpy ride on pavement, loud engine noise, handling is terrible onroad.
Slow ride. 10s for 0-100kmph?!
When I did the test drive on the Sahara I felt its all OK for the best 4x4 in the world it will have some cons onroad and when I compared to the pros I felt convinced this is what I need/want.
The Hardtops come off, everything comes off bringing me closer to nature, love that.
Is jeep releasing a new generation Wrangler by end of 2017???
But now my friends come back and say this ride is not good for long distance commuting during weekends, I love to drive to Oman and back, my Xterra was a rugged vehicle too but I felt alright.

FORD F150 FX4 Supercrew Short Wheel Base (5.5'BOX) 2016
I love the Raptor and that is probably why I am attracted to the more affordable.
Faster ride. 8s for 0-100kmph.
I test drove this, loved it super comfy, awesome options, nice offroad display, spacious, extremely silent, and its big like its mean ;)
I have not driven these offroad so need to your expertise, does it do well offroad?
Some friends say these needs a lot of expensive mods before you could take it offroad or even call offroad worthy.
Fuel economy is not bad and its fast

Confused, I know, should think which vehicle suits my need best should go for it.

I am so close placing the order for the RubiconX and take it the sand and later to the rocks!
Senigal Supertramp
050-8528119
Land Cruiser 200
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences. :)

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Re: RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by Gladiator »

F150.. is a different class... RAPTOR would be Great..

its not the car that count. its the driver.. an F150.. is a good choice..

:mrgreen:
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

Hi Senigal,
I have not driven an F150 but somehow certain it is a more comfortable ride on road. A lot of people are happy with the F150 in the sand as well.

However, having said this, I am certain you will be very happy with the Rubicon on the road but more so in the sand.

The JKR doesn't flatten the dunes but goes over them in a controlled and nice manner and if in trouble you have two magic bottoms to selfrecover with.
JK
056 174 4147

Daggerfall
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Daggerfall »

Why dont you consider an FJ?. Comfortable on road and great at off road.

F150 might shine in big dunes with its power but struggle in technical areas.
I feel the need....the need for speed!!

050 725 09 31

ahmed_soltan
Advanced
Advanced

RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by ahmed_soltan »

All cars are same and all cars can go off road , I am sure you will get many good advices covering almost all brands but it is you and only you who can pick the right car that suits your personality and driving style , whatever car makes you say “ this is it “ then go for it .

Also the modifications ; you should do it to the level that makes you comfortable , there are many marshals driving just stock cars and also many off roaders who have all modifications but stuck just 50 meters away from the road , it is the right mix and harmony between driver , car & modifications , All the best bro .

Ahmed Soltan , JKR , 055 6888 678

DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by DesertDawg »

I thought there was an issue with F-150 air bags and side cresting. I know of at least three F150s in AD4x4 that have deployed, causing major headache for owners.

Dave
Travelling in my truck...

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

DesertDawg wrote:I thought there was an issue with F-150 air bags and side cresting. I know of at least three F150s in AD4x4 that have deployed, causing major headache for owners.

Dave
Every car has an issue,,,, Rubicon , you must reinforce the deffrential before it can go safely to desert !!!

FJ. Visibility is very bad,,, .. :D
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by scotchyl »

Really. Mine wasn't done and it's fine, no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkbp
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

K84
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by K84 »

senigal
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by senigal »

Gladiator wrote:
DesertDawg wrote:I thought there was an issue with F-150 air bags and side cresting. I know of at least three F150s in AD4x4 that have deployed, causing major headache for owners.

Dave
Every car has an issue,,,, Rubicon , you must reinforce the deffrential before it can go safely to desert !!!

Hi,

What do you mean differentials have to be reinforced? What do they exactly do to reinforce?

It is a Rubicon I thought it is offroad ready?

I dont like the FJs bcoz of the blind spots + reduced visibility...

Is 2014 JKR the same as 2016 JKR? the new generation, which year waas it released? 2009?
Senigal Supertramp
050-8528119
Land Cruiser 200
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences. :)

Daggerfall
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Daggerfall »

Jeep is the most capable off-road car when it can come out of the garage :))) I had the same concern for the visibility before I bought FJ but it is not that drastic.

Agility :

Jeep ****
FJ ***
F150 **

Power :

F150 ****
Jeep ***
FJ ***

Durability :

F150 **
Jeep **
FJ ****

1. FJ (10*)
2.Jeep (9*)
3.F150 (8*)

:))

PS: Jeep looks much more cooler by the way!

050 725 09 31

Daggerfall
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Daggerfall »

It is ready for rock crawling type of offroading. Not for the high speed desert drive. And the very first thing you will damage is the front differential (It can even happen in a newbie level drive) . And replacing it under warranty is always an issue. My friend with the same car had this problem.
senigal wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Dave

Hi,

What do you mean differentials have to be reinforced? What do they exactly do to reinforce?

Is 2014 JKR the same as 2016 JKR? the new generation, which year waas it released? 2009?

050 725 09 31

K84
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by K84 »

senigal wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Dave

Hi,

wrangler owners usually reinforce the front axle because many owners change their tires to bigger & heavier ones (285s or 315s).

JKR is the same from 2012 till 2016 (3.6 engine, 285 hp, 0-100 is around 8 seconds).

JKR had 3.8 engine, 202 hp from 2007 till 2011 (the old interior is from 2007 till 2010).

Kalahari
Advanced
Advanced

RUBICON-X vs F150 FX4X4

Post by Kalahari »

Hi Senigal

This is one of the most discussed items in any 4x4 forum and the capability of any true 4x4 vehicle is truly extracted by its driver.

Eg: this shootout that K84 links too slates the Xterra, however, we have a few in the club and they can go anywhere that the wrangler can in the right hands (driver)

There are a few current drivers of F150's in the club and one of them has an an F150 and a Jeep Wrangler - it would be good to see his direct comparison.

Dave (DesertDawg) is correct in advising that we have had 3 F150 pop their side curtain airbags and there is not a factory fitted switch to disconnect. The deployment has been when side cresting that is done from advance level upwards. Unless you are prepared to install a switch, in my opinion, you shouldn't take an F150.

I drove a Jeep Wrangler 2 door Rubicon for 2 years automatic 2014 model and it is an amazing car for the desert. It was stock for the first few months and then I modified:
Axle reinforcement. This is vulnerable on all Jeeps especially if you inadvertently become airborne. This can happen when you are learning desert driving. The front diff was NOT done and I never had a problem with it in the desert. If you are going to do hectic rock crawling, I would definitely recommend that.

The biggest difference between Sahara and Rubicon is the gearing is lowered to 4.1 from the Sahara 3.73. This means slightly higher revs in each gear.

In desert driving you rarely need the sway bar disconnect. The front and rear diff lock can assist in self recovery and are very useful. But, in the club there are many friends that will snatch you out of a stuck.

The SWB jeep does get tiring in long distance commuting between AD and Dubai. The FJ is excellent for this and is a close second behind the wrangler in the desert.

My 2 fils worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew
056 264 0635
JK

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

1st Place
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon