Heat reducing hoods

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Heat reducing hoods

Post by surfer »

Im monitoring the intake temp in my jk, its most of the time around 20 degrees more than the temp around. Im thinking of swapping the stock hood with a heat reducing one. Does it really help ?

also, do you get more sand inside ? How is it when it rains?
The jeeper is back.

Aidy
Marshal
Marshal

Heat reducing hoods

Post by Aidy »

Hi surfer I have the rubicon hood and modified the louvres to open up a bit but never felt any reduction in intake temps. As far as the rain and sand nothing really alarming at all only a tiny bit more than with the stock hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain"

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Heat reducing hoods

Post by surfer »

Aidy wrote:Hi surfer I have the rubicon hood and modified the louvres to open up a bit but never felt any reduction in intake temps. As far as the rain and sand nothing really alarming at all only a tiny bit more than with the stock hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ripp sc and scan gauge shows temp of 40 to 50 even when weather temp is 20, it uses k&n cone filter, i was thinking a vented hood might help to reduce intake temp. Strangly you say it doesnt help.
The jeeper is back.

DinoStroker

Post by DinoStroker »

surfer wrote:I have ripp sc and scan gauge shows temp of 40 to 50 even when weather temp is 20, it uses k&n cone filter, i was thinking a vented hood might help to reduce intake temp. Strangly you say it doesnt help.
A vented hood would only have limited effect and even then, only when driving at a high enough speed to draw some of the hot air out of the engine compartment. The best solution is to either build a heatshield around the cone filter so that it only draws cooler air from the inner fenderwell (or behind the headlight), or modify the stock airbox to accept the cone filter with pipe.
Supercharged or turbocharged applications benefit from intercooling but if there's no room for an intercooler, a water/methanol kit can be used to lower intake temps. and prevent detonation.
1992 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker - 5MT
200rwhp 258rwtq (246hp 311lbft at crank)
Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

thanks DinoStroker. With SC in place, some parts were relocated taking the space meant for the stock filter box, so place is bit tight.

i found a filter box made by ripp that is meant to pull air only from the side, might try it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The jeeper is back.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Is that fully installed? Doesn't look insulated enough if so.

A heat reduction hood won't help much if what you want to reduce is intake temp. A snorkel would work better in my opinion.
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

ossme wrote:Is that fully installed? Doesn't look insulated enough if so.

A heat reduction hood won't help much if what you want to reduce is intake temp. A snorkel would work better in my opinion.
its made in a way to get the air from the opening only, so if there is an opening in the side of the hood facing the opening, it is supposed to get the air from outside rather than the hot air under the hood.
The jeeper is back.

Ancient Mariner
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Curious....Is your intake temperature measured before or after the SC?

Martin
Ancient Mariner

Subaru Forester XT

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

Ancient Mariner wrote:Curious....Is your intake temperature measured before or after the SC?

Martin
I have to check that.
The jeeper is back.