how to do R&P break-in? is this right?

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

how to do R&P break-in? is this right?

Post by MegaMoe »

As i am reading more and more about R&P break-in (leaning) i wanted to make sure i've read the right thing.

Precion Gear and Alloy USA R&P website recommended the following:
"All new ring & pinion sets require a brief break-in period in order to ensure long life and quiet operation. The following break-in procedure is recommended before applying a heavy load and/or constant usage.

1. Insure that the axle has been filled to the correct level with
proper hypoid lubricant before driving the vehicle.
The oil rating must be GL5 or higher.

2. Bring the axle to normal operating temperature by driving the
vehicle (unloaded) for approximately 15 to 20 miles. Do not
run full throttle accelerations or create any shock loads.

3. Let the axle assembly cool completely.

4. For the next 200 miles of operation, drive gently, without any
heavy loads.

5. If trailer towing is intended, an additional cycle of 200 to 300
miles of break-in is required without the trailer. This is important!
To properly break-in a new gear set, a minimum of 500 miles of
driving is essential before towing."

Rand Gears website recommends:

"I still recommend the following procedure for breaking in a new gear set: After driving the first 15 to 20 miles it is best to stop and let the differential cool before proceeding. Keep the vehicle at speeds below 60 mph for the first 100 miles. I also recommend putting at least 500 miles on the new gear set before heavy use or towing. During the first 45 miles of towing it helps to go about 15 miles at a time before stopping to let the differential cool for 15 minutes before continuing."

Richmond Gears:

"A new ring and pinion installation, especially a high numeric ratio with new bearings, can cause an excessive heat buildup in the rear end and cause softening of the gear teeth and bearings if a break in is not performed.

Street vehicles should be driven at normal street driving speed for approximately 10 miles, then stop and let cool for 30 minutes. Do this 2 to 3 times. Towing vehicles need approximately 200-300 miles of normal street driving before being used for towing.

On circle track race cars make approximately 6 to 8 laps at slow speed, then let cool for 30 minutes. Make 6 to 8 more laps at slow speed, then 2 to 3 laps at full speed, the let cool again for 30 minutes.

Drag cars need only an initial run-in since they are driven short distances and heat is not normally a problem with proper lube and backlash allowance.

NOTE: If after the above break in is performed, overheating of the rear end is suspected, repeat the final portion of the break in procedures."

Percion Gears, Alloy USA, Yukon, Richmond, Randy, Offroaders mag all sounded to be the same, which one is more accurate? for those people who already upgraded their r&p can u share ur experience here plz.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Dear Megamoe,

You just cannot be that accurate and stop on the exact milage, there will always be an extra couple of mile.

All you need to consider is to avoid any load on the axles during the leaning period, cool the diffs after the periodic drives and change the oil to full synthetic after you complete the 1000km on them.

All the best man..

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

what confused me the waiting part :mrgreen: should i cool it down as the assumed which is 30 to 45mins or 8 hours? :?:
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Chevy Silverado Z71

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

The information I have says 6-8 hours, keep in mind u r in the UAE and average temp is already high.... :oops: :oops: :idea:

iremy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by iremy »

When a R&P are manufacture the mating surfaces are not perfect, braking in the R&P means that the surfaces have to grind against each other untill all the microinperfections are gonne, thats the reason why no load should be apply (more load=more fricction=damage surfaces) in an ideal world a constant contact pressure while rotating during the first few hours (kilometers/miles) shuold do the trick.

Usually I use with little load and no hard acceleration or down shift for the fist 1000 km a bit more speed and load for the next 1000 km and change the oil rigth after that (dont be surprise if you find some metal powder in the magnetic trap -upps wranglers dont have it- when you change the oil, is normal)

It should be rady to rock rigth after that, good luck

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

thx guys for the info
Chevy Silverado Z71