Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

Hi All,

Does anyone use tyre pressure monitoring systems ("TPMS")?

I have seen couple and was looking for advise on good and bad.

I would prefer the ones with the internal sensors rather than the screw on caps.

The main reason is that I have had a few occassions where my tyre was completely flat, but I didn't get a pop-out and did not know about it. Other times when I have been driving across the wind ripples and thought maybe I had a pop-out but it turns out I didn't. Just looking for peace of mind.

Cheers, Al

Ancient Mariner
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Hi Al

My Jeep came with it fitted and I thought it was a sales gimmick. I use it all the time when inflating which is a useful guide however with your compressor and gauge not an advantage. It has a low pressure alarm which is great when driving on the road. I was aware of a puncture before I risked running flat on tarmac at speed which is one sure way to destroy and expensive tyre. SO not a gimmick after all!Off road it is constantly in alarm so is useless. You can reset the bandwidth for the activating pressure but I think it is when driving at road pressures this alarm is more important. It needs a PROCAL or similar to reset the alarm band. As you are buying after-market there may be a system with easy adjustable alarm so you get the benefit on or off road? Other members may have found a better way to use than I have which would be good to know :D

Martin
Ancient Mariner

Subaru Forester XT

Kalahari
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kalahari »

Yes, I used one that I retro fitted on the Landcruiser. Same as factory in that you replace the valve with one from TPMS and link it wirelessly to the received in the car. Really great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew
056 264 0635
JK

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

Hi Kalahari, what brand is the one that you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

Thanks for the tips Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk