ARB Air compressor Under Bonnet Vs Under Seat

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Stalliondz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Stalliondz »

Hello,
I bought an ARB on board compressor (Single CKMA12) and I made some research where to install it and as some say under the bonnet will be fine others say not.

Car details: Toyota Prado 2012.
Usage: Tyres inflation (No Air lockers)
Season usage: All year long.

I came to the below findings:

1- Under the bonnet:
Alot of space to install it, noise outside of the car, but can (and would) get very hot some times.

2- Under the seat(driver/passenger):
Clean and neat But noisy (specially that I have a 2 years old daughter and when going out from camping we'll need to take her out of the car for me to use it and inflate the tyres.
Also some forums say that some time you get an oil smell inside the car.

3- Rear inside the car:
Not really interested as I'm trying to keep as much space at the back (for my Camping Gear).

I would personally prefer to install it under the bonnet, has anyone done that? Any issues ?Specially in the UAE Weather that tends to be Hot.

Cheers
Chafik

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: ARB Air compressor Under Bonnet Vs Under Seat

Post by Allan »

Hi Chafik,

1. Under the bonnet it gets warm and dirty which means reduced performance and breakdowns.
2. Under the seat is likewise likely to clock up the filter with sand
3. I the back/side is the best solution.

No matter where you install it inside if will be noisy.

Suggest you consult Alaa from Offroad House or RAMY 4x4 for the best installation in a Prado!
JK
056 174 4147

Aidy
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Aidy »

Hi Chafik, I have installed under the bonnet and have had no issues so far. The overheat switch came on a couple of times during summer while doing the last tire.

But as Allan mentioned best place is the rear where it is cooler and away from any dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain"

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

I have high output single from arb under the passenger seat. No issues so far, it is noisy and can regulate heat a little by putting ac vents via floor/foot setting. Over heat 2 times on last tyre during summer. If in engine, you need to make sure filter and intake are properly sealed to avoid contamination etc.

Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Escape
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Escape »

I am wondering the same thing.

I asked ARB and they told me they would only install it under the bonnet as they have had issues with overheating when installed inside the car.

It was not exactly clear what happened (language barrier), but I got the impression that something burnt out with the wiring. Ideally I would like to install it inside the car as you get cooler, cleaner air, but if the compressor can take the heat and dust from the engine bay, then maybe it doesn't matter.

I would love to hear about other people's experiences with it installed inside and under the bonnet.

The noise wouldn't bother me as I only drive off-road alone and am always outside the car when inflating.

Stalliondz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Stalliondz »

Hi,
I would like to thank you all for your feedbacks.
I ended up installing the ARB onboard compressor inside the car under the driver seat (seems I had good space there) and I think that's the best place for it (keeping it cool by putting the AC down when inflating the tyres as Andy mentioned, and as for the noise it's not that high and + who ever is in the car will have to go for a 5-10 walk) but pointing up all the pros and cons, inside is the best place to put it.

I had it installed at ARB Musaffah /Abu Dhabi. The technician didn't want to install it inside at the beginning and they were pushing for it to be installed under the bonnet as it seems easier for them. But I convinced them that I wanted it to be installed inside under the driver seat and eventually that's what they did.

Stalliondz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Stalliondz »

Stalliondz wrote:Hello,
I bought an ARB on board compressor (Single CKMA12) and I made some research where to install it and as some say under the bonnet will be fine others say not.

Car details: Toyota Prado 2012.
Usage: Tyres inflation (No Air lockers)
Season usage: All year long.

I came to the below findings:

1- Under the bonnet:
Alot of space to install it, noise outside of the car, but can (and would) get very hot some times.

2- Under the seat(driver/passenger):
Clean and neat But noisy (specially that I have a 2 years old daughter and when going out from camping we'll need to take her out of the car for me to use it and inflate the tyres.
Also some forums say that some time you get an oil smell inside the car.

3- Rear inside the car:
Not really interested as I'm trying to keep as much space at the back (for my Camping Gear).

I would personally prefer to install it under the bonnet, has anyone done that? Any issues ?Specially in the UAE Weather that tends to be Hot.

Cheers
Chafik

Note/clarification: the oil smell that I mentioned in point (2) you will only get it if you have the Air Lockers installed and the compressor inside the car, but not if the compressor will be only used to inflate the tires :) just thought of pointing that up.

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

The heat issue from installing it inside the car is not the compressor getting hot (its should be cooler running inside), but the wires. The factory ARB supplied wiring harness is not long enough to reach from the battery to under the seat (or in the back). The technicians usually just splice in extra wire, but the longer length means that entire harness should be replaced with heavier wire because the additional length contributes to voltage drop. When they lengthen the wire without upgrading it, the wiring can get hot and sometimes blow the big 40amp MAXI fuse.

Susanne's is installed in the back of the Jeep, and this has happened once or twice. Mine is under the passenger seat and it has not happened. Either way its a good idea to carry a couple extra fuses, or better yet, upgrade to heavier wire and use breakers instead.

You will get dirt in the filters no matter where you install it, but it should be running on cleaner and cooler air inside the vehicle.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

I went to ARB to install the compressor for my Y62 patrol and they recommended under the passenger seat, he said will drill holes in the floor which i didnt like. I felt that this will cause water leak later if i drive it when it rains.

how did you guys install it under the seat? did they drill the hole in the floor ?
The jeeper is back.

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

Yup they drilled floor for mine.

It takes many people many hours to create an empire, but only one to destroy it.
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

scotchyl wrote:Yup they drilled floor for mine.

It takes many people many hours to create an empire, but only one to destroy it.

so it that ok ? i mean do they do anything extra or just drill the holes ?
The jeeper is back.

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

i think the arb comes with a plate that the compressor screws onto that is mounted on the floor panel. beware of fuel lines or fuel tanks when installing it.

rubicon
Marshal
Marshal

Post by rubicon »

surfer wrote:I went to ARB to install the compressor for my Y62 patrol and they recommended under the passenger seat, he said will drill holes in the floor which i didnt like. I felt that this will cause water leak later if i drive it when it rains.

how did you guys install it under the seat? did they drill the hole in the floor ?

Ya they did the hole no side effect on this hole it's normal.
Ahmed Mohammed Al Blooshi.

rubicon
Marshal
Marshal

Post by rubicon »

surfer wrote:
scotchyl wrote:Yup they drilled floor for mine.

so it that ok ? i mean do they do anything extra or just drill the holes ?

Don't worry only they are doing very nice hole go ahead.
Ahmed Mohammed Al Blooshi.

DuneMaster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by DuneMaster »

You should try installation in Torc. They prepare a custom plate to install compressor on it so not hole needed on the floor I installed under the seat.