Spin your wheels, To re-gear or not is the question!!

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
Arabia
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Spin your wheels, To re-gear or not is the question!!

Post by Arabia »

desertfun wrote:
Arabia wrote: Back from AEV Dbx ......... inner sleeves and .......... Yukon 4.88 ...... (also some other minor :lol: interior things) are with me ... fixed appointment with WM .... saturday they will start the work .......

Keep you updated ... once I will be able to use it on then Dunes .... :roll:
Alf mabrook!

What is your impression so far? And which inner sleeves did you get from AEV? I'm thinking of doing the same, so would be good to buy equipment that WM is comfortable with.
Ciao desertfun,
I am in the 500 km out of the 1.000 km that have be done before pushing the new 4.88. Till now must say that the engine is muuuuch more responsive. Hope to be finishing before next thursday so to try it in the sand ......
for the inner sleeves do not remember the exact brand but I suppose they have only those.
Hope you haven't done to much jumping ........ I had to change the D30 hosing cause it was bent ....... WAPITA .....

F
JK 2010 A/T

Cell. number
050 621 29 32
BBM
21CC6D40
Exploring UAE - Overland

Arabia
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Arabia »

......... Well I went out twice during last weekend to test the 4.88 ....... must say ............... INCREDIBBBBBBILE (the italian version of incredible :mrgreen: ) .... Best buy till now !!!

Just wondering for a next mod ........ and went to the doctor today to see how the surgery was going on and there I met the green frog owner who just gave me a hint :hoya: ...... but the $$ is really :stars: ...... let's see .....
JK 2010 A/T

Cell. number
050 621 29 32
BBM
21CC6D40
Exploring UAE - Overland

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Arabia wrote:......... Well I went out twice during last weekend to test the 4.88 ....... must say ............... INCREDIBBBBBBILE (the italian version of incredible :mrgreen: ) .... Best buy till now !!!

Just wondering for a next mod ........ and went to the doctor today to see how the surgery was going on and there I met the green frog owner who just gave me a hint :hoya: ...... but the $$ is really :stars: ...... let's see .....
congraaaaaatts :twisted: (but take it easy with the throttle!)

hmmm ... now I know why miss piggies green friend sms'ed ME this afternoon for the right part numbers for front and rear JK chromoly axle shafts :lol: :lol: :lol: ... and you should seriously be thinking of replacing your stock Rzeppa CV front drive shaft for a double cardan CV style fron DS! The stock front driveshaft on the JKs goes before/with the axle shaft u-joints :?
and if you go with new chromoly front shafts, make sure they have the beefed up spicer 5-760x u-joints and full circle clips :twisted:
5-760x u-joints are used stock in rubicon D44 front axles ... have the same dimensions but are stronger than stock
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

desertfun

Post by desertfun »

Arabia wrote:......... Well I went out twice during last weekend to test the 4.88 ....... must say ............... INCREDIBBBBBBILE (the italian version of incredible :mrgreen: ) .... Best buy till now !!!

hahaha, well, with your positive experience, you got me convinced about regearing. Great to hear you are happy with the mod, mabrook!
"No dude, your SUV is not a Jeep, and my Jeep is not a SUV!"
- - -
MOPAR Performance 2" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks - MOPAR Off-Road Front Bumper - MOPAR XD9000i Self-Recovery Winch - MOPAR Off-Road Oval Fog Lamps - MOPAR Off-Road Rear Bumper - MOPAR Off-Road Tire Carrier - MOPAR Steering and Swaybar Skid Plate - MOPAR 6.5" Round Off-Road Lights - MOPAR Rubber Floor Liner Kit - MOPAR Handle Grab - MOPAR Door Sill Guards - V-Cool window tinting - Garmin GPS 276C - Maxtrax sand ladder - 4.88 regear - Teraflex front axle sleeve - Detroit Truetrac front locker

Arabia
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Arabia »

desertfun wrote:

hahaha, well, with your positive experience, you got me convinced about regearing. Great to hear you are happy with the mod, mabrook!
Go further. I haven't and now I am wondering in the net ......
While regearing, get inner sleeves,
My next mod when I recover from todays shock will be ....... reinforce the front D30 with c gussets ect ect ...... and do not forget the axles front and rear....... and if some $$ remain get the driveshafts front and rear .......

Enjoy ......
F
JK 2010 A/T

Cell. number
050 621 29 32
BBM
21CC6D40
Exploring UAE - Overland

Arabia
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Arabia »

SSS wrote:

hmmm ... now I know why miss piggies green friend sms'ed ME this afternoon for the right part numbers for front and rear JK chromoly axle shafts :lol: :lol: :lol: ... and you should seriously be thinking of replacing your stock Rzeppa CV front drive shaft for a double cardan CV style fron DS! The stock front driveshaft on the JKs goes before/with the axle shaft u-joints :?
and if you go with new chromoly front shafts, make sure they have the beefed up spicer 5-760x u-joints and full circle clips :twisted:
5-760x u-joints are used stock in rubicon D44 front axles ... have the same dimensions but are stronger than stock

SSS
I need to talk to you ...................... seriously !!!!

Ciao
F
JK 2010 A/T

Cell. number
050 621 29 32
BBM
21CC6D40
Exploring UAE - Overland

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Arabia wrote:
SSS wrote:

SSS
I need to talk to you ...................... seriously !!!!

Ciao
F
:D sent you pm :ugeek:

saalaah

Post by saalaah »

Just bought the 4.88 R&P along with the Gibson dual exhaust.. :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

installation will commence after Eid holiday. let's hope that my expectation of the two modifications are worthy!! :?

saalaah

Post by saalaah »

Arabia wrote:
desertfun wrote:
Arabia wrote: Back from AEV Dbx ......... inner sleeves and .......... Yukon 4.88 ...... (also some other minor :lol: interior things) are with me ... fixed appointment with WM .... saturday they will start the work .......

Keep you updated ... once I will be able to use it on then Dunes .... :roll:
Alf mabrook!

What is your impression so far? And which inner sleeves did you get from AEV? I'm thinking of doing the same, so would be good to buy equipment that WM is comfortable with.
Ciao desertfun,
I am in the 500 km out of the 1.000 km that have be done before pushing the new 4.88. Till now must say that the engine is muuuuch more responsive. Hope to be finishing before next thursday so to try it in the sand ......
for the inner sleeves do not remember the exact brand but I suppose they have only those.
Hope you haven't done to much jumping ........ I had to change the D30 hosing cause it was bent ....... WAPITA .....

F
WM told me that i have to drive for 600kms on max. speed of 60km/hr. :? after that i get it to the workshop to change the oil and then i am all good. i have also installed the 4.88 like yourself. any idea why is the difference in break period?

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

saalaah wrote: ...

WM told me that i have to drive for 600kms on max. speed of 60km/hr. :? after that i get it to the workshop to change the oil and then i am all good. i have also installed the 4.88 like yourself. any idea why is the difference in break period?
WM gives you the standard break in procedure for DANA gears (factory) and pinion bearing (preloaded!) !
You should look up your gear manufacturers break in procedure in the internet! (they are different)

Bottom Line:
your gears will become HOT during break in period. The key is to break them in without overheating them (metallugirgical effects take place ... some of them are NOT wanted). Overheating them will make them brittle! Overheating them will break your gear oil.
So e.g. Richmond recommends 60 kms in 15-20 minute time slices (max speed below 80km/h) and complete cooling down of differential between the time slices. Then normal street driving for the next 500 miles (no towing/sand driving). Then green light :twisted:
You will notice that your rear diff becomes less hot later on ... it should be touchable with the bare hand for 2-3 sec.

ciao
SSS

saalaah

Post by saalaah »

SSS wrote:

WM gives you the standard break in procedure for DANA gears (factory) and pinion bearing (preloaded!) !
You should look up your gear manufacturers break in procedure in the internet! (they are different)

Bottom Line:
your gears will become HOT during break in period. The key is to break them in without overheating them (metallugirgical effects take place ... some of them are NOT wanted). Overheating them will make them brittle! Overheating them will break your gear oil.
So e.g. Richmond recommends 60 kms in 15-20 minute time slices (max speed below 80km/h) and complete cooling down of differential between the time slices. Then normal street driving for the next 500 miles (no towing/sand driving). Then green light :twisted:
You will notice that your rear diff becomes less hot later on ... it should be touchable with the bare hand for 2-3 sec.

ciao
SSS
I just checked the Yukon website and they recommend:
1- no heavy acceleration for the break in period.
2- change the oil after 800kms (not 600kms as WM told me) :evil:
3- instructions for towing (i will not do towing anyways) 8-)

the manual doesnt specify the max speed nor max trip length before cooling. WM told me that i may drive 30-45 min trips (do you think i should do that?) + 60km/hr before i cool down.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

I just checked the Yukon website and they recommend:
1- no heavy acceleration for the break in period.
2- change the oil after 800kms (not 600kms as WM told me) :evil:
3- instructions for towing (i will not do towing anyways) 8-)

the manual doesnt specify the max speed nor max trip length before cooling. WM told me that i may drive 30-45 min trips (do you think i should do that?) + 60km/hr before i cool down.
If you can avoid long trips in the break in period it is safer ... as I said, the differential will get darn hot at the beginning.
and I would not do offroad trips either ... sand driving is worse than towing ;)

goriding
Advanced
Advanced

Post by goriding »

Hello guys!

I have read through this thread a couple of times. I think I need new gears as well!

My 2008 JK has an auto transmission, with 33 inch tires. I really run out of power on even short climbs using 4 hi, so I have been using 4 low all the time. I still have the stock Sport gears which I believe are 3.21. I am getting concerned about damage due to exceeding the manufacturer speed limit for 4 low which is 25 mph. All this points to needing to change the gearing ratio. You guys agree?

What would be the ideal ratio to use for this car? I don't care at all about gas mileage, this car goes 8 km to work, or at most to Dubai or Al Khatim for desert drives, so most important is desert performance. The Grand Cherokee is my road trip car.

I looked at the charts below, what is the ideal color band to be in for desert driving in Abu Dhabi? Green band, or blue band? Which color area of the chart should I target, green or blue? The answer to this question will put me some where between 4.88 and 5.86 gearing...

2nd question for Arabia, who did your install? WM or did you have it done in Dubai? Do you mind sharing the cost of the installation with me?
Randy