Advanced
Advanced

Re: GPS Navigation Workshop

Post by tillybean »

Kieran wrote:
waqmaster wrote:i smell another GPS Lead and Sweep! :twisted: :twisted:
Yes please Waqar, :)

Followed by a night drive? ;)
Liking your suggestion very much there Kieran.
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

Kieran
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kieran »

xof wrote:
when you navigate, if you want to see of use your gps, just stop... so much better than falling down a dune!
Another way of teaching this may be for marshalls to make the waypoints for trips available to those that want them prior to the trip. It would then help with learning to input the waypoints into the sat nav and then allow us to monitor the GPS as we drive so we don't to go falling down the dunes while monitoring the GPS when we really need to be paying attention to it when leading. Of course this relies on us being sensible enough not to drive into the back of the car in front while concentrating on other things and as stated better left to a passenger when possible.

I have always either had my GPS set to navigate to a point when driving be it the point we are going to or less useful where we have just left, so when leading for the first time it was one less thing new to be concentrating on whilst try to pick a route through the dunes.

Kieran

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

Passing out waypoints prior to a trip could be good or bad. It will probably cause a lot of unnecessary chatter on the radios when the route leader has to deviate from the planned route due to either terrain or drivers ability. However some basic grids such as; start point, end point, en-route rally points (in case of break in contact), and closest catch roads for emergency services could be useful. If you really wanted to be organized, you could show up with a small netbook with Garmin Basecamp and the grids loaded and fill everyone in the groups GPS device. This is much faster than waiting for people to enter the grids individually, eliminated the risk of someone entering the grid incorrectly, and gives the route leader a medium to brief the planned route to the group and show the maneuver area.
A few people have been talking about paying attention while driving. If a dedicated and competent navigator is not available, use of attack points will help. It is something that should be done anyways (combined with establishing handrails and backstops), you locate a distant visible terrain feature or object generally in line with the azimuth of your route and drive to it. As long as you don't have to deviate due to terrain too much, you will stay close enough to your route.
Just remember, a GPS is a secondary means of navigation which is used primarily. A map, compass, and ability to use both doesn't need batteries and will survive an incident (collision/rollover) better.

Fox
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Fox »

Proposal :
We nominate DoPushUps to give us some training, with maps and GPS.
DoPushUps, I hope you won't curse me for bringing up this idea ? I just
feel we have now spotted the best teacher available !
I will be ready to be with you after 3rd April.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

wowowow... :lol: everybody sounds excited...

ok, first a secret to share : we, marshals, does not use waypoint or track baack when leading trips... we simply know where we are going... :lol:

The only place where we need really our GPS is Liwa. And i know marshals who can cross Liwa without a GPS.

Ok, how to use a GPS for desert nav (not interested by other use) ; by going for bearing. so, you just need your arrival point, nothing else. After that, you are doing your way through the dunes and that's where experience comes in reading the tracks...

So, if we go for course/trip for GPS use, we'll teach you the settings of the 276c, how to add waypoint directly (not through mapsource), how to navigate... But i will not go to lecture about global navigation, etc... :mrgreen:

and i won't be able to do such a trip before April i think... :evil:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

Xof is correct, I'm sure most marshalls in the club have spent enough time in the dunes that they don't ned their GPS's to lead a route. Just as someone who has lived in Dubai for 10 years doesn't need a map to get around (ok, lots of road work in Dubai, so bad example. Al Ain then). But, I'm also sure that most Marshalls know how to use the GPS at this point. It is a base skill that is learned early on. I think this is a dangerous comment:
"The only place where we need really our GPS is Liwa. And i know marshals who can cross Liwa without a GPS. "
To those of you who are trying to learn navigation skills, please take note that he said MARSHALLS. Continue trying to learn, as you do not learn navigation simply by not navigating. And just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I usually go to Big Red on the weekends, and I don't get stuck, but I still take my recovery equipment and train how to use it.
I'm not sure that the club would support the type of training that I am talking about or that Fox is requesting. So, at this time I'm not offering it as a club sponsored activity. If anyone wants to meet on their own time and do this, feel free to contact me.

wolle
Advanced
Advanced

Post by wolle »

Hallo Everybody,

I think this discussion makes it very clear, at least I need a training and I think Do push ups is the right person to do it.
I already heard some things like "Attack points" which I have to put in the right kontext to understand them. :D

So I would like to ask the question of FOX again=== Do push ups == would you like to give a navigation training ?
If yes we have to fix the time and date.

Beast regards

Wolle

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tillybean »

And I am still keen on this too. DoPushUps does seem to have volunteered which is very kind of them :D
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

Fox
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Fox »

DoPushUps I fully appreciate and agree with your point.

So I am looking forward to see you after loooooong time Xof !
Yes, the theory of navigation and co-ordinates would be boring and frustrating to most,
this could be felt in the reactions on the link in the GPS fun drive topic.

4X4 need to find destinations and the nearest way out in case of breakdown. The GPS
receiver is then just the most convenient replacement of map, compass, star navigation ...,
and the co-ordinates just the simplest form of communicating locations.

Next step and more important even (Xof stage 2 ?), how to read the landscape and find the most
appropriate way around obstacles ! GPS co-ordinates will not help with that. Only maps and /or observation.

Have a safe driving everybody, remember the GPS shall not be used like a TV, it should
be just very briefly checked while driving, like briefly checking the speedometer. The road
or sandtrack is more important than the direction !

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

ok,give me a few days to come with something more accurates.. this is being discussed in club management ;)

SCORPIO
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SCORPIO »

xof wrote:ok,give me a few days to come with something more accurates.. this is being discussed in club management ;)
OHHHHHHH
again management interferance :evil: :D :D
YOU CAN NEVER SET OUT TO GET OUT FROM THIS LIFE ALIVE

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

gUYS
It is very simple. You can try your GPS' even on main roads.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tillybean »

Agree wholeheartedly with Fox on Stage 1 (understand your GPS) and Stage 2 (use it to help you accurately navigate the dunes). Reading the dunes is something that comes with time and practice and having a sessions on good -v- bad routes would be brilliant.
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

phase 2 is what we call "lead and sweep trips" usually organized for advanced that wants to become marshals, as they are leading and finding the track... which you need experience. So again, let me organize a schedule to give to all levels the right knowledge.

as i see it, phase 1 is intermediate (GPS required) and phase 2 advance...

Fox
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Fox »

xof wrote:as i see it, phase 1 is intermediate (GPS required) and phase 2 advance...
Hope to be advance by the time you do phase 2 ..... :beg: