GPS Navigation Workshop

Anything related to Navigation and Questions
desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Re: GPS Navigation Workshop

Post by desert_hawk »

xof wrote:phase 2 is what we call "lead and sweep trips" usually organized for advanced that wants to become marshals, as they are leading and finding the track... which you need experience.
well, we did a trip like that...as intermediate, i can't say it was advanced level of difficulty, but it was interestingly a learning experience.

i think for LEAD & SWEEP trips can be done from intermediate level upwards (this is my humble opinion, no obligations to the club :roll: ), the supervising marshal can give straight instructions about what DOs and DONTs depending on the level of members, like our trip...Waqmaster said no "side cresting", and we all as good boys and girl obeyed 8-) , and without any problems

by participating in these trips, we will find that what we are discussing here is something that becomes, after a while, "common sense"
in the LEAD & SWEEP, you would put the point you want to go to, and then choose the track according to the terrain. you can drive in a straight line or a zig zag line according to how interesting you want your track to be, but not as your navigator would tell you

I think this is what Xof meant by marshals don't use tracks or way points, we all see trip leaders use their navigators, but it is mostly to find: BBQ spots, exit points through fences or meeting points with other groups, it is not to see the track...

tracks usually change very easily in the desert, not talking about big dunes, but small dunes and crests, especially with strong winds that we see those days, and soft sand change with the level of humidity and the time of day...so you can't count on a saved track, or the one created by your navigator.
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

desert_hawk wrote:[
....... you can drive in a straight line or a zig zag line according to how interesting you want your track to be, but not as your navigator would tell you

......it is not to see the track...

tracks usually change very easily in the desert, not talking about big dunes, but small dunes and crests, especially with strong winds that we see those days, and soft sand change with the level of humidity and the time of day...so you can't count on a saved track, or the one created by your navigator.
I don't recall posting anything about this.
After re-reading this thread, I don't see where Xof did either. He and I are talking about different training. What I posted about did not include reading tracks (on the sand) or route selection. There are more qualified people in the club, like Xof, to conduct this.

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

Using your GPS is quite simple actually and I think you are doing a bit too much fuzz about it.
The thing is that you use your waypoint as the target and along the way you adapt the route to the terrain. I dont think anyone is following a track really (at least I dont) as I am using just the direction to guide me. Based on this I am sometime left or right from the "straight line" between the waypoints.
I have done a few of these lead&sweep trips and my experience is that the GPS is not an issue for our members but more the route navigating between the dunes following a direction.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

Right. It seems like this thread has either deviated from the author's original request or people are only reading the most recent post and responding to it.
To reiterate: a member expressed interest in learning more about his GPS and how it worked. He then requested specific training in this area. We have now turned this into a "lead and sweep" thread. I'm not sure that the comments being made here are meeting the authors request for information and are causing the conversation to spiral. Please note the title of the thread. And yes, contrary to what is apparently popular belief, there is more to GPS navigation than putting in a waypoint and driving in the general direction. I get paid very well to teach this to the best trained soldiers this country has to offer. Taking a blase' approach to it, will cause you to have to revisit the training later because you failed to adequately cover the topic. When you do ANIT and you discuss recovery techniques, you do not say "just attatch the strap and go". The details, such as, tighten the shackle nut and back it off a quarter of a turn are important because they are. Just as not covering proper set up and usage of a GPS is important because something as simple as having the wrong map datum selected can have you up to a kilometer off. If you aren't interested in a GPS class, or helping give one, then this probably isn't the thread for you. Ask yourself if you are actually meeting the author's request. Be part of the solution.
Is using a GPS relatively easy? Sure
Can you teach yourself? Sure
If someone asks for help will you give it? [insert answer here]

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

DoPushUps wrote: If someone asks for help will you give it? [SURE]
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

QARUOTY

Post by QARUOTY »

hi every budy
please tray to do a Gps trip with BBQ , it will be nice

QARUOTY

Post by QARUOTY »

there is any chance to make atrip like crowne plaza GPS fun

QARUOTY

Post by QARUOTY »

can u organize more advance trip

wolle
Advanced
Advanced

Post by wolle »

Thank you DUPUSHUPs,

for saying what I was thinking, for me it would be nice, to sit together, hear and learn about the possibileties of the GPS,
drive a few km to transfere the theorie into pratice. And if this could happen in nice company it would be even better.

Regards to all

Wolle

Frank

Post by Frank »

mmmhhh Please help me that I can understand this thread.

A: Is this thread how to handle an GPS?? Then you shoud learn first how to handle a map :twisted: . I am not joking.
Your 276C, Nuvi etc etc is just an electronic map. If you want to learn how to use geo-coordinates with your electronic map device use your operating manual and play with your device. Its the best training for yourself. Read something in the internet about GPS you will understand it more easily.
Check in google earth the coordinates e.G. from the Yas Race Track put it in your device select direct route and try to find the way.

B: Or to do an trip like every weekend ? What you will do during the trip? Set Waypoints for e.G. BBQ-Spots ?? Why you didnt do it before ?
Cause you dont know how to do it ? Read the operating manual but not during the trip :mrgreen:
Is der Berg a no so steil a bisserl wos geht allerweil
Men are not complicated - We are a fun
Who have driving skills - no need exorbitant power

Guevara
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Guevara »

Actually the GPS fun drive (or fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) was a very intensive course for GPS usage in the desert (expecially for thos who lead the team for almost 100 km... :shock: )

Viking is right, the overall concept is to find the best ways between two way points and finally arrive to our destination.

Driving in the sand means to drive 50 m, see what's there, drive anothe 50 m, until you reach your target in the GPS. It is not like in a highway where you drive at full speed from the start to the destination.

Guvara
Mobile 056 1205601
X Terra Off Road 2009 - PRG 2.5" Lift Kit - AOR LED lights

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

Ok, one week has elapsed since the author's original post and request. No solution has been posted here yet. I'm not a fan of talking with no action, so I will be setting up a class.
* This will not be a trip, Lead & Sweep, dune bashing, or off road event. * GPS usage is not exclusive to club activities, so I don't want to hear about why I can or can't do this.
If a Marshal is interested in sponsoring an off road event after the training to provide an opportunity to apply the lessons on the dunes, I will adjust the class to accommodate.
The time and location of the class will depend on the location and availability of the attendees. I will begin a new thread within 24 hours, which will include the intent, general outline, and approximate length. I will notify here when it is posted.

skimff1031

Post by skimff1031 »

Wow, This thread needs a GPS just to navigate it! Read and comprehend - then comment! A member asked for GPS classes, a member offered to teach - other members took it as an affront to their skills or trip organization. Thanks "DoPushUps" for extending the "spirit" of the club and offering to help fellow members. Look forward to it!

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

Thread is up. Titled "Navigation Training" in Chit-Chat. Or click on my profile and check "my posts", its at the top.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

DoPushUps wrote:Thread is up. Titled "Navigation Training" in Chit-Chat. Or click on my profile and check "my posts", its at the top.

Do Push Ups, i send you a PM. ;)
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry: