Garmin Montana 650 Magnetic Compass

Anything related to Navigation and Questions
Fox
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re:

Post by Fox »

Accord wrote:Maybe just a recalibration will do. I had an issue with my garmin earlier and found that FM transmitter used to play flash memories was interfering.
Contacted garmin directly and they sent me the some files for calibration.

Sent from my GT-I9505
From the setup menu, you can get into a compass calibration mode. This is straightforward, step by step instructions appear on the screen, very easy. However this does not solve the "magnetic problem" from the loudspeaker, nor would it solve any problem from your FM transmitter.
Remember also, the calibration is good in open air. When the GPS is in the car, there will most likely be a - hopefully small - deviation from
the true compass indication, due to the metallic structures of the car, possible other magnetic fields from inside the dashboard etc.
With my mount location however this error is quite small (approx. 5 to 10 degrees) which I find acceptable. When moving and the compass
going to satellite mode, it disappears.

Fox
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: Garmin Montana 650 Magnetic Compass

Post by Fox »

akhateeb wrote:I tried it today with both the marine type & the suction cup mount, & both worked fine when moving & when standing still...

I updated my unit software a couple of weeks ago, so maybe they introduced some software solution for that?!
A software update solving the problem is surprising to me. I have no clue how the software would achieve this, except
"calibrating" the compass immediately before switching over from GPS to magnetic ?????

Rami Taha
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Rami Taha »

The i would recommend to back up your data to the computer and reset the unit to the factory settings with finger on top corner. Then restore your data.
I dont you had this problem when you bought it.

Sent from my GT-I9505

DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by DesertDawg »

There are a few forum threads on this.

When moving, the compass is GPS derived and when stationary via a 3 axis electronic compass. The latter is influenced by external magnetic fields.

Proof (with the help of my fridge magnet):
Abu Dhabi-20131021-00420.jpg
Abu Dhabi-20131021-00418.jpg
I have not moved the GPS, but North has changed (around 180 degrees). I can place North where I like using the magnet.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling in my truck...

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

DesertDawg wrote:
I have not moved the GPS, but North has changed (around 180 degrees). I can place North where I like using the magnet.

Dave

:shock: so Frankenstein can also modify the gravity field of the Earth??? :shock1: :shock2: :dash1:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

akhateeb

Garmin Montana 650 Magnetic Compass

Post by akhateeb »

Fox wrote:
akhateeb wrote:I tried it today with both the marine type & the suction cup mount, & both worked fine when moving & when standing still...

I updated my unit software a couple of weeks ago, so maybe they introduced some software solution for that?!
A software update solving the problem is surprising to me. I have no clue how the software would achieve this, except
"calibrating" the compass immediately before switching over from GPS to magnetic ?????
Maybe they introduced some kind of software correction when the device is connected to the speaker mount to counter the effect of the speaker magnet.. Or maybe I was just lucky this time.. I will try it tomorrow again and see...
Every man dies ... Not every man REALLY lives!
Ayman 0508144630
[*] Audi A6 for the lovely wife...
Total Trips since Sep 2012 : 54 Trips
Last updated: 25-NOV-2013