Long Trips

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Mpenzi

Long Trips

Post by Mpenzi »

Last Year we venture into Oman and was absolutelly wonderfull trips

These are places planning to visit begining of Big Eid but will be confirmed latter

Turtle Beach /Sur
Masira Island
Nizwa and Hoota Caves
White Wadi
Wahiba Sands
Majlis al jin

I know some of you guys had already explore Oman So Please let us know so that we can add to the callender.

:feedbackpls: :feedbackpls: :feedbackpls:
Last edited by Mpenzi on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

whazabout majid al jin?
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Jo wrote:whazabout majid al jin?
Yeah thanks Jo
added to the list

SkullsOfIron
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by SkullsOfIron »

Mpenzi,
I know White Wadi and I think you do too...we've been there.

Masira Island I've camped near by it "in Mhout" Didn't go to it though but I know the route to there..

Nizwa I know it well and I have some friends who can guide us to great places in it, You already met one of them in your last trip to white wadi...

Wahiba sands Didn't go deep in it till now..But you might want to add Wadi Bani khaled to it -since it's not far away from it-...Friends of mine have recommended it...it has water all year long and most of the people who visit it take a swim in it..am planning to go see what's it all about soon. will take pictures..

Sur the way to there is mainly on-road drive...and it's all about stopping for turtle watch..

Majlis Al Jin....I have no idea about it...will ask around and get back to you.

Will reply with other places as soon as I get trusted recommendation or i go and check them.
Cheers.
It's not important where you go it's important that you go across not around -Skulls's Jeep-

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

My absolute favourite is Wadi Tayyin which is the western part of Wadi Dhayqah.
It is popular to walk the whole wadi which will take about 6-8 hours. Two groups start from opposite sides and switch carkeys when they meet halfway.
Wadi Tayyin is a fantastic experience with a nice long drive through wadi beds, water holes and finally you end up between high cliffs in the wadi where you find nice pools and shade.
I heard though that parts of it was unavailable due to "Guno" but that was quite a while ago.
I would love to go there again and find out.
Wadi Tayyin track is the green one.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

SkullsOfIron wrote:Mpenzi,

Wahiba sands Didn't go deep in it till now..But you might want to add Wadi Bani khaled to it -since it's not far away from it-...Friends of mine have recommended it...it has water all year long and most of the people who visit it take a swim in it..am planning to go see what's it all about soon. will take pictures..

Will reply with other places as soon as I get trusted recommendation or i go and check them.
Cheers.
I definitely dont recommend Wadi Bani Khalid as it is very crowded unless that is what you are looking for :-)
Since they made the tarmac road to reach it the place is a circus and almost impossible to park :evil:
Still the wadi is nice but lost most of its charm due to the fact that it is so accessible.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

Viking wrote:
SkullsOfIron wrote:Mpenzi,

Cheers.
I definitely dont recommend Wadi Bani Khalid as it is very crowded unless that is what you are looking for :-)
Since they made the tarmac road to reach it the place is a circus and almost impossible to park :evil:
Still the wadi is nice but lost most of its charm due to the fact that it is so accessible.

Wadi beni khaled is crowded during week-end but absolutely fine during week days, been there couples of time and love it. on the way back we may pass by Sur & Tiwi to see Wadi Shabb

Wasabi

If you organize something in Oman around Wahiba, Wood land.... I will definitely join and help you; it was my play ground during 4 years.

halwa

Post by halwa »

Musandam camping 8)

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Thanks for your input Guys
So far we have
Turtle Beach /Sur
Masira Island
Nizwa and Hoota Caves
White Wadi
Wahiba Sands
Majlis al jin
Wadi Tayyin
Wadi Beni Khalid

What we need now is to organise and set dates for this trips.
Give a couple of days to put trips on dates or dates on the trips. :?: :?:

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

Guys Missing is Khaluf and the shrimps farm!!!!!!!!!!!!! just love it

Wasabi

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Wasabi wrote:Guys Missing is Khaluf and the shrimps farm!!!!!!!!!!!!! just love it

Wasabi
What ::: Where is that man. shrimp on the barbi,,,,,,,,,,,Hey sound deliciuos

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Just Back From Oman, so here is my 2 fills...

Jebel Shams... Great View, but a saloon car can do it. Great camp on top. Of for a first stop on the way to nizwa and further.
Wadi bani Awf : Great road, amazing sceneries. But easy drive.

Nizwa, just for a stop.

Wahiba : wonderfull play ground. Ali's camp is great (Al Raha Camp). 6 AC rooms available, but must be asked. Omani drivers will join if you ask to show surrounding dunes. Possibility to go south in Wahiba, then take East to join Al Kamil (navigation following bearing, can be tricky as you go perpendicular to dune stream).

Turtle beach (AKA Ras Al Jins): must go during week. Too crowded during week ends and eid. No respect for turtles. Al Nasseem camp is ok. Ali there (another one) is great and passionate! NO AC, SHARED TOILETS. They just opened the new Hotel/restau/museum/ecological building there. 10 rooms available. Package more expensive (500 dh/pers inc. room, diner, breakfast and guide). We are old friend with the managers.

so much other roads, wadi, forest... OMAN IS A MUST GO!

And if you want romantic place, go to the CHEDI HOTEL in Mascat... paradise on earth...
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

xof what a trip ,you must be exhausted, Welcome back.
See we are going to have aleast 5 days during big Eid and would be very nice to Venture Oman and What you guys have in mind.

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

Mpenzi and Familly,

will take you where ever you want after February.......... but for next Eid (December) I will be to busy.

The shrimps farm is south after Masira island. If you need any info about Oman, contact me, I love and miss this country.

Wasabi

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Mpenzi : 1790km in 4 days... in a WRANGLER!!! it was cool. My only frustration is not being able to have a better average speed.

Same for me, during the big Eid, i'm going to South Afrika for a Safari in the Kruger. My wife never saw the big five, and i have not been in Africa since 2002.

But later, count me in with Wasabi!
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry: