- engine assembled and back in place! scary moment: first startup ... yes it started ... BUT ... sitll smoking and sounding like 7 cylinders instead of eight
Easy solution ... (fortunately) ... they suddenly had the idea to check the injectors ... and #1 was pouring fuel continuously into the cylinder
... 10 minutes and a quick injector replacement later => aaallll smooth as butter
The shop had the engine completely opened up because of my scary description ... all were suspecting the worst ... from broken rings to broken piston skirt ... well ... so now I have
- brand new piston rings (the old ones were REALLY in bad shape)
- new valve seals ... cheap add on
- new valve springs (C5 Z06 springs) ... less prone to breakage at higher rpms ... and the old ones were not the same length anymore
- new multilayer steel head gaskets ... the old one on paper compound base was really swollen around the coolant passages.
- new oil pump ... the residue traces were suggesting that.
- last moment waterpump replacement because while reassembling the engine they discovered some coolant evaporation traces below the pulley ... unfortunately last moment meant I had to go with whatever Shatry had on stock ... some cheap US/Chinese aftermarket replacement
(better a cheap non leaking pump than a leaking one NOW)
- and of course the real reason for the culprit in the first place : a "new" injector off the shelf of the workshop
maybe I paid more than needed ... but all hopefully not wasted!
yesterday insurance renewed and some coolant added ... the system was still burping out.
today inshallah registration
tomorrow rear D44 bolton Super Truss (quite some torque there)